MESSENGER

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Paul’s Proof of the Solid Rock Foundation of the Ministry of Jesus Christ

 

https://www.youtube.com/live/zGig3yWn8Ko?feature=share

 

Welcome to Covenant of Hope Ministries and our Sunday sermon. You will normally see us posted in written and live form on Sunday. I am Rev. Laura A. Neff. Our ministry was built on the truth of God’s love and sharing the Word of God, the Spirit of Christ Jesus in a way that we believe embraces the ways Jesus taught us to manage. We bring His Word to the many as opposed to the few, in order to continue the legacy created by the ministry of Jesus Christ. It is God’s will that has brought this to be. We wish only that God’s truth will be shared within His words as brought to us by the Spirit as it fills my heart, mind, and soul to be shared with my hands, but with His words alone.

You will find us in the following location: http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

 Rev. Laura’s other sites: Facebook & Blogspot & Twitter & Linkedin

Wedding officiant page: Wedfolio

 

Prayer List: We have many on our prayer list. Some wish to remain anonymous, and others only wish to have their first names mentioned. Our prayer list grows or changes every week. This is our current list.

- Please pray for Evangelist Cal Jennings who has been suffering greatly with his health. May the Lord bring his spirits up and help heal him.

- Please pray for Evangelist Cal Jennings’ sister who has a malignant meningioma and has been undergoing treatment.

- Please keep several friends and other family members in prayer for their trials and tribulations. They have each requested to remain anonymous for the time being.  

        One who is suffering bruised ribs and muscle and joint pain after a fall.

        Two are suffering from shingles pain and itch.

        One who is preparing for surgery in the next two weeks.

        A co-worker of my daughter’s lost their brother to violence this past week.

        One who has just gotten out of the hospital with major health issues that have alarmed their doctor and their family members for the enigma that has been causing this issue. Doctors believe that they have finally discovered the source of a problem that has plagued this person for months now.

- Pray for those who have suffered from violent events, that they heal and do not have scarred psyches and that those who have lost their loved ones to violence find peace in the face of fear.

- Pray for comfort and solace to be shared with those who have said farewell to a loved one this week, known or unknown.  

- Pray for those who have been suffering with chronic pain of all sorts.

- Be thankful for each day we live as we do not know what tomorrow brings.

- Pray for our nations that the voice of God be heard through the Spirit.

- Pray for our friends and families that their tomorrows bring blessings and pray our own be the same.

- Pray for those suffering as a result of the terrors that have occurred just this past week around this world.

- Pray for our sick and wounded that they may heal.

Prayer: Father in heaven, our prayer today is for those who suffer pain and illness in this world today. We pray for those family, friends, and colleagues who have major health issues they are fighting against. We pray for those who are deathly ill, suffering any levels of pain and discomfort in this world. We pray for those who are victims of violence. We pray for those who have been caught in the various weather and earth shaking events of this past month. We pray for the poor and the homeless, that they have a place to rest their heads and food to eat. For each of these we pray in Your Holy Name, through our Savior Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, Amen and so it shall be.

Opening Song: On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LtGQLZ87c

 

 

 

Sermon: This week we are continuing the study of the first chapter in Romans. There is a lot that Paul reveals in his letter to Rome, just in these first verses of the first chapter. The second segment of chapter one as shared in the Scroll holds an amazing view of Paul’s memories as he writes to the one church he had always dreamed of standing in their midst. He is, of course, thankful that the congregation existed at that time where being Christian was forbidden, considered illegal, and those practicing as such were hunted down, one of many reasons these letters were read far and wide in the many hidden Christian churches throughout the Roman Empire, what is known as Asia Minor and more. This is how Paul addresses the church at Rome.

Romans 1:8 KJV – First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

NIV – First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.

Paul remembers something that our Savior said in a moment spent with the Apostles and Disciples which shared the reason Paul so carefully crafted the letters to each of the churches. It is important to reflect on the reasons we should follow our Heavenly Father, and have faith in the belief that He sent Jesus Christ to abolish death through human sin. It is amazing to think that something which began in the small country of Israel even then had spread over three continents in this world, and even today continues to spread further and further over all seven continents in this world.

Matthew 24:14 KJV – And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

NIV – And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Paul also refers to another of his letters, this one being the first letter written to the church in the Greek city of Corinth.

1 Corinthians 1:4 KJV –I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

NIV –I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.

Witnessing for God and Christ is something we as Christians should be prepared to manage at all times. We never know when someone will need to be witnessed with or to. We never know when the Holy Spirit of God will choose to put us in situations where the potential blossoms. It is more than just praying for someone. Paul points out the one who witnesses each of us at all times in all situations in this next verse.

Romans 1:9 KJV – For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

NIV – God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you.

Prayer, one of the foundational elements of Scripture, belief, faith, and unconditional love. Praying whether it is for someone in trouble or pain, or something that has stressed us out, has its origins in Scripture. We hear about prayer in every single Scroll of Scripture. We hear about witnessing one to another just as often. We see these other examples of exactly that.

1 Samuel 12:23 KJV –Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:

NIV –As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right.

Job 16:19 KJV – Also now, behold, my witness is in heaven, and my record is on high.

NIV – Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high.

Acts 24:14 KJV – But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

NIV – However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

Acts 27:23 KJV – For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,

NIV – Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me,

Paul reiterates his strong desire to visit the church at Rome. It is a place he never actually stepped foot anywhere near in his lifetime on the earth. Yet, his letters continue to inspire the development of foundations in faith for Jesus and for God utilizing Unconditional Love and gentle direction toward advancing hearts, minds, spirits, and souls toward the path of light that Jesus left for us to find and follow.

Romans 1:10 KJV – Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.

NIV – in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

Paul had Luke, the gospel writer, with him on many voyages to the churches he could reach and the people who sought the Word through their teaching. Paul’s letters to the churches at Philippi and Thessalonica share this desire as well.

Acts 18:21 KJV – But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

NIV – But as he left, he promised, “I will come back if it is God’s will.” Then he set sail from Ephesus.

Philippians 4:6 KJV – Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

NIV – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

1 Thessalonians 2:18 KJV –Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.

NIV –For we wanted to come to you—certainly I, Paul, did, again and again—but Satan blocked our way.

Spiritual gifts for our strength, that is what each and every letter written to the churches, by all the half siblings of Jesus, the Apostles, Disciples, and Gospel Writers all were willing to die for in order to spread these gifts to the far corners of the known world at that time. It is something we, as true believers, truly faithful Christians, should be doing in some way every day we live.

Romans 1:11 KJV – For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

NIV – I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong—

The need and desire to follow God’s Word and to foster faith and belief comes from far, far back in Scripture, as we see this moment of reflection for King Jehoshaphat.

2 Chronicles 20:20 KJV –And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.

NIV –Early in the morning they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful.”

Paul and the gospel writer Luke often worked together, so the influence of both of them in many of the letters and Scriptures synchronizes the Word of God through Jesus in many ways. Here they are visiting two cities in Asia Minor under Roman control at the time and the church at Corinth in Greece as well.

Acts 19:21 KJV – After these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, After I have been there, I must also see Rome.

NIV – After all this had happened, Paul decided to go to Jerusalem, passing through Macedonia and Achaia. “After I have been there,” he said, “I must visit Rome also.”

2 Corinthians 1:15 KJV –And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

NIV –Because I was confident of this, I wanted to visit you first so that you might benefit twice.

Faith in God and Jesus shared through the Holy Spirit that brings the members of a church together, is a foundational consideration. We often hear the words On Christ the solid rock I stand in a very popular Christian hymn. This song was written by a man who, as a child, didn’t have a true anchor in his life, until he heard God’s Word and it changed his life completely. The song came into being as part of his maturing in faith and belief. This is something that Paul worked diligently to help those who listened to his letters at each of the churches, as he shares here in this next verse. Paul draws comfort in the thought that his words will bring these churches and their members together into one eternal body of Christ.

Romans 1:12 KJV – That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

NIV – that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.

We hear more encouraging words from Luke, Paul’s letter to Titus, and Peter’s second letter as well.

Acts 11:23 KJV – Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.

NIV – When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.

Titus 1:4 KJV – To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

NIV – To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

2 Peter 1:1 KJV –Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

NIV –Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Remember when we talked about the “fruit of the Spirit” and the growing of that fruit? We spoke about it when we worked through the gospel of John the Beloved and the parable of the Vine and the Branches, which shows how we are all connected to each other, as the branches and fruits held on them as they connect to the vine that is our Savior Jesus Christ and tended by God the Father, as the Creator and the foundational cornerstone upon which everything here on earth from first to last has a connection. It is this vital connection that Paul is portraying here in this next verse.

Romans 1:13 KJV – Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

NIV – I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

Our foundations of faith have a beginning, middle, and end. That includes God in all three of those views as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The prophet Isaiah portrays faith taking root in this fashion.

Isaiah 27:6 KJV – He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root: Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.

NIV – In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit.

Jesus portrays foundations of faith as more than physical. We see that here in the gospel of John the Beloved.

John 4:36 KJV – And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

NIV – Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests a crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.

John 15:16 KJV – Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

NIV – You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

Paul points out that he has a very good reason to be there writing the letters to those in the church at Rome. I’ll have to share it in both the King James and the New International Versions for the sake of clarity.

Romans 1:14 KJV – I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

NIV – I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish.

Notice that Paul mentions wise and unwise. Jesus taught the same. People who knew God well and people who were ignorant of the freedom of God’s voice within and without. We see King Solomon’s influence here.

Proverbs 1:22 KJV – How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

NIV – How long will you who are simple love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

Proverbs 8:5 KJV – O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

NIV – You who are simple, gain prudence; you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.

The wisdom of Solomon remains such even to this day, as it still influences writers and poets alike. We see the prophet Isaiah’s words referenced and shared throughout the New Testament. Again we also hear from the gospel writer Luke and Paul’s reference to his first letter to Corinth as well.

Isaiah 35:8 KJV – And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

NIV – And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it.

Acts 28:2 KJV – And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold.

NIV – The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.

1 Corinthians 9:16 KJV –For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

NIV –For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

Paul is excited to have the hope to preach to the church at Rome, even if it is only in a letter. We as Christians today should be just as excited to share our faith in a blog post, a video, in a small group, whether at church or not, and especially as a family. It is so important to Paul to continue the legacy that was built by the Word as shared through our Savior for His entire earthly life and beyond His death and resurrection. Paul wanted this to be shared through priests, ministers, pastors, evangelists, deacons and more around this world even if he would never live to see it. This is the hope that is integral in our foundations of faith. We see this sentiment in this next verse.

Romans 1:15 KJV – So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

NIV – That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.

We go back in Scripture to the Old Testament for a note about foundational faith through the words of Solomon, the second king of Israel, as well as the prophet Isaiah.

1 Kings 8:18 KJV –And the LORD said unto David my father, Whereas it was in thine heart to build an house unto my name, thou didst well that it was in thine heart.

NIV –But the LORD said to my father David, ‘You did well to have it in your heart to build a temple for my Name.

Isaiah 6:8 KJV – Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

NIV – Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

We will end this sermon with the words that Jesus shared in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and John the Beloved.

Matthew 9:38 KJV – Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

NIV – Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Mark 14:8 KJV – She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.

NIV – She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial.

John 4:34 KJV – Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

NIV – “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

Jesus speaks of the harvest, preparing for the worst, and the hope for the best that will come through belief, faith, and unconditional love, which He shared with the many, even to the point of death. Now that’s something to think about as we pray in the prayer that Jesus taught us saying:

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
(Matthew 6:9-13)

Closing Song: Mercy Me ~ Here Am I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25xmqs8AEQ

 

 

 

~ Shalom ~

Rev. Laura A. Neff

Facebook & Blogspot & Twitter & Linkedin

Evangelist Calvin Jennings

Facebook & Twitter & Blogster

Covenant of Hope Ministries Main Site: http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

Scripture Excerpts: The New Open Bible Study Edition: Copyright © 1990: Thomas Nelson Publishers, Inc.

Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright © 1982: E. E. Gaddy and Associates, Inc.

Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright ©circa 1890-1910: International Bible Press, The John C. Winston Co.; Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sermon or Study Copyright © 2023 http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

Our mission for Covenant of Hope Ministries is not to exploit fear, but to conquer it, and overcome all that is created through fear together as the bringers of the light of Jesus found in the midst of darkness.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. This system likes to drive me crazy, LOL. Noted as "Anonymous" in the previous response.

    ReplyDelete