MESSENGER

Sunday, September 10, 2023

The Answer to Your Questions in Faith Is Jesus Christ

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUin3iZzz-E

Welcome to Covenant of Hope Ministries and our Sunday sermon. You will normally see us posted in written and live form on Sunday. I am Rev. Laura A. Neff. Our ministry was built on the truth of God’s love and sharing the Word of God, the Spirit of Christ Jesus in a way that we believe embraces the ways Jesus taught us to manage. We bring His Word to the many as opposed to the few, in order to continue the legacy created by the ministry of Jesus Christ. We wish that God’s truth will be shared within His words as brought to us by the Spirit only to be shared with my hands and voice, but with His words alone.

You will find us in the following locations: http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

Rev. Laura’s other sites: Facebook & Blogspot & Twitter & Linkedin & USA Life

Wedding officiant page: Wedfolio

 

Prayer List: We have many on our prayer list. Some wish to remain anonymous, and others only wish to have their first names mentioned. Our prayer list grows or changes every week. This is our current list.

- Please pray for Evangelist Cal Jennings who has been in his own apartment for a couple months now and enjoying it immensely. He’s been having issues with pain and pain relief of late and other respiratory and circulatory issues.

- Please continue praying for Evangelist Cal Jennings’ sister who has been in rehabilitation after having her benign brain tumor removed.

- Please keep several friends and other family members in prayer for their trials and tribulations. They have each requested to remain anonymous for the time being.

        Several who are having money issues.

        One who is continually suffering from loneliness that keeps them from peace and patience.  

        One cousin who is having a great many issues in their family, including two suffering cancer, other family issues especially difficult include several diagnoses that are a lot to process for them.

- Pray for those who have suffered from violent events, that they heal and do not have scarred psyches and that those who have lost their loved ones to violence find peace in the face of fear.

- Pray for comfort and solace to be shared with those who have said farewell to a loved one this week, known or unknown.  

- Be thankful for each day we live as we do not know what tomorrow brings.

- Pray for our nations that the voice of God be heard through the Spirit.

- Pray for our friends and families that their tomorrows bring blessings and pray our own be the same.

- Pray for those suffering as a result of the terrors that have occurred just this past week around this world.

- Pray for those who have lost their lives in the pursuit of faith and hope.

- Pray for those who have lost their lives to cancer and other diseases this past week.

- Pray for those who suffer harassment and the anxiety it can cause within them.

- Pray for those who must withstand liars and cheaters in their lives and struggle to maintain their faith in humanity, God and the Holy Spirit.

- Pray for our sick and wounded that they may heal.

- Pray for those who suffered and died needlessly on September 11, 2001, and those who still suffer as a result of the environment on that terrible day.

 

Prayer: Father in heaven, our prayer today on this beautiful Sunday is to have the Holy Spirit bring each of us the great gifts of joy and peace to our hearts, strength of spirit, healing to our bodies and souls, and faith to our minds, this week and always. We pray for the spirits and memories of those lost on September 11th twenty-two years ago tomorrow, and their surviving families. We pray for those who suffer pain and sorrow that their pain be eased, and tears wiped away. We pray for those who are fighting for freedom and the security of their homes and lives. We pray for those who are fighting due to medical conditions that keep them from participating in their favorite activities, or with their families. We pray in hope and patience for those things that are worrying us in our hearts and minds. We pray for those who are homeless, jobless, and in financial dire straits. We pray for those who cannot receive help for whatever reason, that they receive the assistance they need. For each of these we pray in Your Holy Name, through our Savior Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, Amen and so it shall be.

 

Opening Song: Here I Am Lord https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcxOkht8w7c

 

 

 

Sermon: Today we are continuing our study of the eighth chapter in the scroll of Romans. Paul gathers quite a lot of ancient historical Jewish knowledge regarding God and the Messiah Jesus Christ. There is quite a lot to go through so we will start where we left off last Sunday.

 

Romans 8:28 KJV – And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

NIV – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

 

What does it mean “according to his purpose”? Every person on this earth, from birth to death has a role to pursue on this earth. Jesus gave us a mission and roles to play within that mission. Paul is portraying some of those. He is a minister and teacher. One of those methods of being a minister and teacher would be to bring references of history in faith and how things had only changed in those minds of the ones who hadn’t lived that same history. Paul begins with the Torah teachings and then adds to that with the writings of the great Jewish kings and the prophet Samuel.

 

Genesis 50:20 KJV – But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

NIV – You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

 

Exodus 20:6 KJV – And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

NIV – but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

 

Deuteronomy 6:5 KJV – And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

NIV – Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

 

2 Samuel 16:12 KJV –It may be that the Lord will look on mine affliction, and that the Lord will requite me good for his cursing this day.

NIV –It may be that the Lord will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today.”

 

Paul then adds to this with his view of modern prophets, in this case, the gospel writer and compatriot Luke. With his thoughts he adds to the references with his own writings to the church at Corinth.

 

Acts 13:48 KJV – And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

NIV – When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

 

1 Corinthians 1:2 KJV –Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

NIV –To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

 

1 Corinthians 1:9 KJV –God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

NIV –God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

 

One of the mysterious tenets to Christianity is Omniscience. It is added to with Omnipotence and Omnipresence. These mysterious tenets give us the reach that God holds. He is Omniscient, which means He knows everything about everybody, every animal, plant, insect from smallest to greatest. God is Omnipresent, which means He can be anywhere, everywhere, all at once. God is Omnipotent, which means He is infinite in His power. After all, He did create this entire earth, the universe around it, all the creatures living upon it, and every single person since the day Adam breathed for the first time. Paul points out this set of thoughts in his next verse in the eighth chapter as seen and heard here.

 

Romans 8:29 KJV – For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

NIV – For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

 

Again Paul brings up that which all children were taught in regard to the Torah. Torah means “Law”. He adds to this with the Jewish Kesuvim. Kesuvim means “Writings”.

 

Exodus 33:12 KJV – And Moses said unto the Lord, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.

NIV – Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’

 

Exodus 33:17 KJV – And the Lord said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

NIV – And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”

 

Psalm 1:6 KJV – For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

NIV – For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

 

Paul adds to this with the words our Savior spoke in the gospels of Matthew and John.

 

Matthew 12:50 KJV – For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

NIV – For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

 

Matthew 25:40 KJV – And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

NIV – “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

 

Matthew 28:10 KJV – Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

NIV – Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”

 

John 17:16-26 KJV – They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

NIV –They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Jesus Prays for All Believers

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

 

Paul adds to this with reference to his own writing in the two letters he sent to the church at Corinth.

 

1 Corinthians 8:3 KJV –But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

NIV –But whoever loves God is known by God.

 

2 Corinthians 3:18 KJV –But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

NIV –And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

 

Paul continues teaching the church at Rome with these next words. There are words that many do not understand well. One of those is predestined. It means to have been known before those people realized they had been chosen, and in fact, had not been born, but would be of prominence in the story of Christ.

 

Romans 8:30 KJV – Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

NIV – And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

 

Paul again references the Word as Jesus shared it in life on this earth. This time from the gospel of John the Beloved.

 

John 5:24 KJV – Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

NIV – “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

 

John 17:22 KJV – And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

NIV – I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one

 

The next references that Paul utilizes are from his writings to Corinth, and his colleague Titus.

 

1 Corinthians 1:9 KJV –God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

NIV –God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

 

1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV –And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

NIV –And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

 

Titus 3:4-7 KJV – But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

NIV – But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

 

Years ago now I remember hearing this next verse in a New Testament study class. The professor asked us “Why would Paul ask this question if he already knew the answer?” None of the students in the room volunteered an answer. Not one. I looked around, knowing the answer, but at the time was a very shy eighteen year old college freshman. My hand crept up as he turned toward my side of the room. “Okay, Miss Newman, what do you think Paul was asking?” My tentative response was, “Paul wanted the people reading his letter to think about the implications and impressions of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and all that He had done, and what promises had already been fulfilled.” He opened his mouth, closed it, blinked twice, and then said, “Correct! That is exactly what Paul was intending.” I all but melted in relief after being the only one willing to answer. Here is the verse we were discussing.

 

Romans 8:31 KJV – What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

NIV – What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

 

There are many cross references for this verse. Most of those are in the Old Testament. We’ll start with the writings of the kings of the Jews.

 

 

1 Kings 8:57 KJV –The Lord our God be with us, as he was with our fathers: let him not leave us, nor forsake us:

NIV –May the Lord our God be with us as he was with our ancestors; may he never leave us nor forsake us.

 

2 Kings 6:16 KJV –And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

NIV – “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”

 

1 Chronicles 5:22 KJV –For there fell down many slain, because the war was of God. And they dwelt in their steads until the captivity.

NIV –and many others fell slain, because the battle was God’s. And they occupied the land until the exile.

 

Psalm 56:9 KJV – When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.

NIV – Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.

 

Psalm 118:6 KJV – The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

NIV – The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?

 

We’ll add to these with the writings of the prophet Isaiah.

 

Isaiah 8:10 KJV – Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.

NIV – Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us.

 

Isaiah 41:10 KJV – Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

NIV – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

 

Our last verse from Paul’s letter to Rome today is this one.

 

Romans 8:32 KJV – He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

NIV – He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

 

It doesn’t matter where we are in the world. Nor does it matter what language we are speaking. This verse should hit everyone in the heart, mind, spirit, and soul. Why? Because Paul is pointing out one of the toughest things parents have to go through in their lifetimes. In order to help our children grow we have to be willing to let go and allow them to learn without our help. In the sacrifice Jesus made on that cross at Calvary, God fulfilled a promise made years upon years prior when He promised first Adam, then Noah, and on through King David, and King Solomon and the others, that one day there would be a new heaven and a new earth, and all this sin and sinning would be washed away without complete and total destruction of humanity as there had been in the days of Noah. These two gospel excerpts share how Jesus portrayed this promise.

 

Matthew 7:11 KJV – If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

NIV – If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

 

John 3:16 KJV – For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

NIV – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

 

Our last reference from Paul’s writing to the church at Rome today is from his first letter to Corinth.

 

1 Corinthians 3:21 KJV –Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's;

NIV –So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours,

 

Paul is simply reiterating the fact that nothing here on this earth compares to the glory of God’s Unconditional Love. If you would like to be introduced to this Unconditional Love that God provides us, we invite you to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and leave a comment below. Now that’s something to think about as we pray in the prayer that Jesus taught us saying:

 

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
(Matthew 6:9-13)

Closing Song: Wonderful Words of Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVlz9iCkN8

 

~ Shalom ~

Rev. Laura A. Neff

Facebook & Blogspot & Twitter & Linkedin

Evangelist Calvin Jennings

Facebook & Twitter & Blogster

Covenant of Hope Ministries Main Site: http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

Scripture Excerpts: The New Open Bible Study Edition: Copyright © 1990: Thomas Nelson Publishers, Inc.

Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright © 1982: E. E. Gaddy and Associates, Inc.

Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright ©circa 1890-1910: International Bible Press, The John C. Winston Co.; Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sermon or Study Copyright © 2023 http://www.covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com

Our mission for Covenant of Hope Ministries is not to

exploit fear, but to conquer it, and overcome all that is

created through fear together as the bringers of the

light of Jesus found in the midst of darkness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment