MESSENGER

Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Autumnal Open Letter For All


Over the years I have often been told that I don’t communicate enough, open up enough, for people. Well, there are things that I only share with God, as it should be for all of us. There are things I keep to myself, as they aren’t fit for conversation. Yet, I agree, I must learn how often to communicate. It is something we all must learn in our lives. This includes all forms of communication, writing, and speaking. Who do we talk to? How often do we talk? What do we talk about? These are some interesting things to consider, and Scripture discusses them all in many ways. I wasn’t going to start off my first week back with this particular consideration, but one or two, perhaps more of our members have brought this thought of communication up in various ways. So, this letter goes out not just to our membership, but to all. This is my first open letter to all for the last week of my sabbatical. We’ll start here in Galatians 6:6 KJV – Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
The Word must be taught, before we can teach each other. Our innermost thoughts, feelings and more must be learned and thought over before we can discuss them. It is no simple task when we suffer something that could be devastating, and then put that in words for others to understand, until we ourselves understand it. Yet, our thoughts and words shouldn’t be stopped unless they are the wrong words to say. This is something shared here in I Timothy 6:18 KJV – For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
It takes work to communicate, and when we need to, want to, we shouldn’t be gagged, prevented from doing so. Let us learn how to communicate, in a good and constructive way, each of us. Whether we are Christian or not, communication is a vital consideration. Yes, it takes practice, and some of us need more of that than others. There are no exceptions in this ideal, whether you are one of the greatest speakers or you are the one in the corner who says nothing unless you absolutely have to. The idea is to communicate, to share, but what’s the best way? Does any one person know this? God knows. Let’s take a look at this next view of communication as shared here in Hebrews 13:16 KJV – But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
Think before you speak, or share, don’t gossip, we must remember our studies on James in this instance. Yet, still communicate one to the other. It’s not easy to feel the need to discuss problems we have with our communication with others, but let’s not put words in their mouths that don’t belong.
Matthew 5:37 KJV – But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
It is hard to reveal our innermost fears, our feelings to each other, even if we are teachers, ministers, friends and family and more. In fact, this can be one of the most difficult considerations for all of us, no matter who we are, what we believe, where we live and more.
Luke 24:17 KJV – And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
Jesus didn’t want anything to be hidden. He knew already what had been said. He knows even now what you are thinking, as God would also know. Before the words come out of our mouths or are more than an inkling in our thoughts, God already knows what they will be. Yet, as we were taught manners while we were children, manners get forgotten in the world as we grow. We see this shared, even in Scripture as shown here in I Corinthians 15:33 KJV – Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
This again shares an ideal we heard in our studies of James. We see so much of the bulk of Scripture, returning us to our studies in those five short chapters. Corrupt communication, remember, James said to bridle our tongues. He wasn’t the only one to think so, as we share here in Ephesians 4:29 KJV – Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to use of edifying that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Put your words and thoughts to good use. Make them something that people can understand, and are worthwhile to share. Give your thoughts a chance to be heard, and they shall be listened to, at least by someone. I may not give voice to my thoughts often enough for some, but that’s because I’m listening to yours. One thing we learn a lot about in Scripture is to listen and hear before we speak. There are many reasons, this one here is but one of those as shared here in Psalm 71:24 KJV – My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.
There is a saying in this world that goes like this: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Yet, in many ways, this is proven untrue. Words do hurt, because the ones who speak them in hurtful manners, don’t think before they speak, or are thinking in a manner that is meant to hurt others. Sometimes this is done unintentionally, and others it would be specifically for pointing out truths that can indeed hurt. James always spoke with blunt precision. He pulled no punches. James 1:19 KJV – Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
He continues in his thoughts here in James 3:3-5 KJV – Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

James 3:8KJV – But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

James 3:10 KJV – Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be.
When we communicate, we must remember, there are good ways to do so, and bad ones. There are thoughts that should be voiced, and others which should be kept quiet. It is learning the difference that takes time, patience, and practice to manage. We aren’t instantly going to be able to write our thoughts, speak our minds, or any of that, without hurting ourselves or others, if we don’t learn from our mistakes, and remember that sometimes it is better to say nothing than to speak and destroy that which we are attempting to build. Know that my thoughts are always seeking ways to tell you what is going on with my health and even to discuss your own. It is not easy because there are as many mysteries as there are solutions. I have been told by many that they don’t wish to be a burden. Are we burdens to God? Are we burden to Jesus? The answer should be no. If we are not such, then we should not be burdens to friends and family, and should never feel as such. This goes for all of us, no matter our abilities. That’s something we must learn to express, because it builds faith, and wisdom. Now, I’ll be quiet, because that’s something to think about.

But, on a side note, I know that everyone has been very concerned about how I am doing. Physically I am still working to find solutions. I am going to be able to speak more clearly than I am next week when I have my new lower teeth in place. I’ll be practicing by sharing with you. Our sermons and their delivery have had to change drastically due to the medications I am now on. I will only be bringing you ten minutes of my voice, beyond the songs to share, and the format would be entirely different. You’ll get this experience next Sunday on September 2, 2012.

Some are concerned as to what those medications I take can do. I have even heard one or two consider the medication as evil. Yes, I have spoken with God and Jesus about these medications. I have used as many natural elements as I have medicines given by the doctors, actually agreed upon between myself and the doctors. Yes, I am still working toward health and wellness. It is a daily consideration. I am still suffering blackouts. I had two small ones and a big one just this month. I use a cane to maneuver over eighty percent of the time, but I still get places. I spend most of my time sitting in my chair here at the computer, with my feet up on a storage box, trying to meditate and pray the pain into submission. I sit and read the short updates from ministry members, friends and family in the various places and would write, edit or read poetry and other things I have written over the years. We all must try to do just that. Many of us are well versed in this factor of life.

My mind is the clearest it has been in almost ten years. I admit, my short term memory needs serious work. But my long term memory is far clearer than it has been in many, many years. I honestly must say I forget birthdays, anniversaries, and more, because, most times they are never mentioned. I don’t always initiate conversation. Sometimes that is more difficult than people might believe. Otherwise, there are few I know who would initiate the conversations, unless face to face or on the phone. For some reason, written communication has become transient, when it should be the first method beyond calling or face to face, and it should be each of us working toward that consideration, not just one who is expected to make every contact. Can you recall the last time you sent every person on your contact list a note that was personalized and just for them? I haven’t done it enough, this is true. We could explain that away in a billion ways if we were given the chance, but it would sure be nice if, and when, we do communicate, we all ask this one question. What do you think?

I know it isn’t easy to communicate. There is little doubt that there would be. All of us suffer from this wall we must climb over or around, under or through. If you are concerned, voice that concern. There is a song titled A Little Talk With Jesus, and another one Something to Talk About, and that fits all of us, no matter who we are or what we do. I am open to all forms of communication, written, or verbal, instant message or mail. I will provide my contact information if you’d like to start a dialogue. That is, if you have no problem giving me a method in which to contact. I’m more than willing. Are you?


Rev. Laura A. Neff
The Rainbow Minister
Covenant of Hope Ministries
Main Site: http://www.covenantofhope.multiply.com (Temporarily)
Other Sites: Facebook & Twitter & Google+ & Blogspot
Scripture Excerpts: The New Open Bible Study Edition:Copyright © 1990: Thomas Nelson Publishers, Inc.
Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright © 1982: E. E. Gaddy and Associates, Inc.
Scripture Excerpts: Holy Bible: Copyright © circa 1890-1910: International Bible Press,The John C. Winston Co.; Philadelphia, PA., USA
Sermon: Rev. Laura A. Neff: Copyright © 2011 Covenant of Hope Ministries http://covenantofhopeministries.blogspot.com/
Our mission for Covenant of Hope Ministries and Poetic-Expressions is not to exploit fear, but to conquer it, and overcome all that is created through fear together as the rainbow in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment